Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Storage Auctions

You may have seen the popular shows "Storage Wars" or "Auction Hunters" and if you're like me, they get you thinking. How often do these people actually make money? How much money can you make? How big is the risk? From how I see it, the types of storage units people bid on vary depending on the resources they have to resell items. Someone with a storefront can buy units with more furniture and bigger items. However, someone like myself with more experience on eBay and Craigslist would be better off buying units with smaller items. As far as the risk is concerned, I believe it depends on how big you're willing to bet. You can only see so much when you look into the storage unit. Many times the unit is filled with boxes or most of the contents are blocked by other items. More times than not, you're going to be bidding on a unit hoping there is something worth the money inside that you can't yet see.

Personally, I want to give this a try. It's probably a good idea to start small and get a feel for how the auctions work. Who knows, maybe I'll buy a unit for cheap and end up finding something worth a lot! That's another aspect of the auctions which draws people in, the mystery. Some people actually do this as a hobby for the excitement. I plan on attending some auctions in the near future and seeing if I can't find some valuable items to resell and make a sizable profit! I will keep my blog updated with my successes or failures (hopefully the former).

No comments:

Post a Comment